The new product release 18.104.22.168 is coming out March 3, 2017. See the video tutorials that explain the development process at https://youtube.com/codeontime.
The release introduces new Touch UI 2017 and provides the foundation for the future Native Online/Offline Apps. The foundation is provided by the following features:
Native Online Apps
The next release 22.214.171.124 is expected to go out last week of March. This release will introduce generation of native apps for iOS, Android, and Windows 10.
Here is how you will build a native app with the release 126.96.36.199:
- Create an application with SPA page model for a "real" database engine such SQL Server, Oracle, MySql, etc.
- Indicate platforms required for native deployment. This will enable CORs support in the app.
- Publish an app.
- App generator will make special versions of all pages in "Native" deployment folders. All scripts and CSS stylesheets will be copied there as well. Native platform code will be also created.
- Deploy the server code of the app to the web server.
- Deploy the native code to the app stores.
Native Offline Apps
Release 188.8.131.52 is expected to be ready in May of 2017.
The new "Offline" property will be available for application pages.
The data controllers will be generated in ".json" format instead of ".xml". We also need that for both new CoT v.9 and Cloud On Time. The new format of controllers is used by built-in Project Designer.
If at least one page is marked as "Offline", then the following will happen when a native app is running:
- Native application will download controllers and data in JSON format from the server.
- Only offline pages will be visible/selectable in navigation system of the app if there is no connection.
- "Cloud" icon will be displayed on the application toolbar. There will be several states for the icon:
- Online + No Local Data Changes
- Online + Local Changes Require Sync
- If the app is "online" then "Cloud" button will be in "Online+" state. If the button is pushed then the following will happen:
- The log of updates will be send to the server via the Batch Import API introduced in 184.108.40.206 if data synchronization is required.
- Conflict errors will be reconciled by the user when needed
- Fresh copies of controllers and data in JSON format will be retrieved from the server replacing the previous offline data set.
Transactional Data Input
Native Online and Web apps will benefit from this new "offline" capability as well. Starting with the release 220.127.116.11, forms will work in "offline" mode. It will be possible to enter child records when a new record is created. The data will be posted to the server only when the master record is posted. This capability will be available in all product editions.